We are so excited to be partnering with COOK, an amazing demonstration kitchen in Rittenhouse Square. My father, Jerry Meyers, will be a featured guest Chef on Saturday, November 19th at 2pm to teach a class entitled "All About Apples."
My Dad was born and raised in Quakertown, PA. He graduated from Quakertown Community High School in 1962 and went on to receive his degree from the Culinary Institute of America in 1967 and a Business Management Degree from Pratt Institute in 1970. He spent 2 years working at Macy's Department Store as their restaurant manager before coming back to join his family at Meyers Family Restaurant in Quakertown, PA. During his time at the restaurant he was actively involved with the PA Restaurant Association Lehigh Valley Chapter, Upper Bucks Chamber of Commerce and was voted Restauranteur of the Year. Meyers Restaurant grew into a 500 seat restaurant consisting of a 275 seat banquet facility, 225 seat restaurant and a full-service bakery offering PA Dutch Specialties. Our bakery was known for their Apple Dumplings, Seasonal Pies, Shoo Fly and Funny Cakes. Although the restaurant closed in 2003, we are excited to be venturing back into the baking and event business with "The Farm Bakery & Events."
My Dad, at the young age of 73 is still baking today. He truly has a gift for baking and absolutely loves teaching others what he has learned from his years of experience. There are only 16 spaces, so please go to the COOK website to reserve your spot. They open ticket sales at 2pm today and they go fast.
We hope to see you there.
Here is what you will learn at the upcoming class at COOK.
1. A tutorial on various kinds of apples. Learn the best varieties to cook, bake & eat, as well as proper storing and buying.
2. He will be making our famous Duchess Soup from Meyers Restaurant. For those of you who have not tried it, it is a creamy cheese soup with CV Cooper Cheese and finely chopped vegetables. It is paired perfectly with an Apple Dumpling.
3. He will also be making our Apple Dumplings with the traditional vanilla glaze and a new caramel sauce that has become a house favorite.
4. You will learn how to make an Apple Tart, which is a unique way to make an apple pie that offers a great presentation, sure to impress your guests at your next dinner party.
5. Lastly, you will learn how roll out dough and make the perfect pie crust.