I love true authentic "Mexican" dishes. Every Thursday we have some sort or Mexican inspired dish at "The Farm." The kids love homemade Guacamole and although traditional Mexican food can be high in carbs and fats, this is a nice healthy twist. For our kids we take the turkey filling and place in a brown-rice wrap with some raw cheese to make quesadillas. We simply heat up the quesadillas on the stove top with a lightly olive oiled non-stick pan. We also love to just eat the guacamole, however instead of chips we use baby carrots or plantain chips to avoid all of the extra fat and carbs in the corn chips. Although I have to say that every once in a while a good tortilla chip with guacamole is something we all cannot resist.
This is a great, fun, easy meal that the whole family will love!!
Stuffed Peppers with Fresh Guacamole
- 4 bell peppers (colors of your choosing), halved and seeded
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 14.5 oz. can low-sodium refried beans
- 1 pack low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 cups Salad greens for the top, finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In a large-rimmed pan add the olive oil on medium heat. Add ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink.
- Follow taco packet instructions and add to the turkey. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the refried beans until combined, then turn off the heat.
- Spoon turkey mixture into halved peppers and place them in a deep rimmed baking sheet. Cover the top of each pepper with the shredded cheese.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the sheet pan and put in the oven. You don't have to cook them long. Depends on how you like your peppers for al dente bake them 10 mins.
For the Guacamole:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon, 1 lime, both squeezed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- handful of cilantro, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl combine avocados and lemon/lime juice
- Combine remaining ingredients.
For the Chipotle Cream:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbs. chipotle sauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients. Consistency should be not too thin, not too thick. Adjust amounts as needed.
To plate- set 2 peppers on the plate, then guacamole, greens, drizzle chipotle cream on top.