Summer season is great, lots of salads and proteins. This salad can easily be changed based on what's in the fridge. Start with some fresh greens, a couple vegetables with crunch, a nut, and a berry. These types of ingredients create a nice balance. The dressing has the same ability too. You need sweet, sour, citrus, oil, fresh herb! Try experimenting with your favorite flavors.
Quick, Simple Summer Salad
(Yield 4-6 servings)
- Two heads of greens (whatever your favorites are) rinsed, dried, and ripped into mouth-sized pieces
- One orange pepper, julienned
- One yellow pepper, julienned
- One pint of blueberries, rinsed
- 1/2 c. chopped mixed nuts
- 1 c. jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Layer ingredients on each plate beginning with a bed of greens, then pile on everything else! Finally sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
(Yield about 1 cup)
- One lemon, zested and juiced
- One lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. honey
- Handful fresh basil
- Olive oil (amount to add is known once everything is in the processer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processer add all ingredients except the oil and salt/pepper. Pulse until combined.
- Then add the oil to double the quantity in the processer (e.g. if your ingredients measure 1/4c., then add 1/4 c. oil).
- Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just bring it to room temperature prior to use.