I feel like the dog days of summer can't end soon enough! As Fall approaches, we love to change up our pancake recipe and add a nice little twist. This pancake is fluffy yet still has substance, so you won't be hungry in an hour. This pairs great with a breakfast chicken sausage.
Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes
(Makes 15-18 pancakes)
- 2 tbs. vinegar + enough milk to make 2 c.
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups Spelt Flour
- 3 tbs. unsalted, melted and slightly cooled butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
- Heat griddle to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the milk/vinegar mixture. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Wisk to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl sift together the dry ingredients (this makes them fluffy!)
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and wisk until combined. Don't overdo it.
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Melt 2 tbs. butter on griddle. Wipe off with a paper towel.
- Use a 1/3 c. measure and pour pancakes onto griddle.
- Flip when edges become dry and bubbles form.
Serve hot with maple syrup, chopped pecans or chocolate chips if you like!