I made this for our girls when Becca was out of town. Immediate hit. Funnily enough Gracie has secretly wanted to buy a sloppy joe when they're served for school lunch. When she saw this at home she couldn't eat it fast enough!
Yields- 4-6 servings
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 3/4 c chopped green pepper
- 1 tb tomato paste
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup water (reserved)
- potato rolls
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring continuously. Then add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Over medium heat add green pepper, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, parsley, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate small pot bring 2/3 c water to a boil. Add the dates. Boil for a minute or until the dates are soft. Remove the dates from the pot (reserving the water for later).
- Blitz the dates in a food processor. Add tomato sauce then tomato paste. Blend then add to beef mixture. Add 2-3 tbs reserved date water.
- Heap a large spoonful onto a potato roll. Enjoy!